Back in early spring, I remember thinking how lucky those spectators at the Tour de France are.
About 3 minutes later, I asked, “why not me?”
So I decided to take the direct route.....through Italy.
Hometown airport on a summer Saturday…bumper to bumper.
A window seat for the short hop to Seattle….always good to see Mt. Hood up close and personal.
Worried about the transfer in Amsterdam, lots of history with labor strikes and crowds. No big deal, I’m thru quickly….but the air conditioning in the terminal is missing in action.
Finally on the ground in Bologna.
Dinner was quite welcomed. That wine…
Next day walkabout, and I see another name I’ve been reading about since 1975.
The climb to San Luca is an ambitious one!
The Portico with 666 arches….the last 2000 meters is a hellacious climb.
In 2024, the Tour de France made this climb twice on a stage…..10% grade with sections up to 18%, just obnoxious.
I love Europe….and food.
Fantastic food here….ok, I opened two bags and a jar to make pancetta gnocchi Bolognese. It was damned good.
The University of Bologna is the oldest secondary school in the West, over 1000 years. But their recent engineering shortcomings on a 100 degree day are apparent, with these packaged A/C units…that’s a whole lot a room for hot air to come inside.
The best pizza I’ve ever had!! (Sorry, Times Square street vendors)
On my way for fresh baguettes (a regular occurrence), I walk past this lovely church.
Roasting temps, 3 digits. Kept as cool as possible and did what I could.
Next up; the train thru the Alps…
Oh wow…the feeling of these cool European towns and cities!!!
I passed on AirBnb for a small hotel room with a lakeside view…very good call. Lugano might be more scenic than Annecy, and that’s saying much.
Didn’t want a huge meal, so I found a very salty chicken sando on the waterfront.
Not many Argentinians here.
Norway did a great job in the World Cup, especially this guy (guys?).
Missed a Bavarian pretzel on my last trip.
The Hotel International is worth it.
Some idiot was seen doing resistance band lunges along the water.
Dude had a nice vacation here 100 years ago.
Dinner looks fancy….cold roast beef with bougie stuff. Tasted ok, I can do as well at home for a whole lot less money! But the restaurant was up high, so the views were worth it.
I’ll be coming back here!








































No comments:
Post a Comment