Monday, September 17, 2018

My Intern buddy


When is 10 hours of driving worth it? 

Last weekend. 

Around the turn of the century, while the rest of the world was bracing for Y2K hell, a young intern came thru the door at Johnson & Johnson. Good kid, smart, hard worker, volunteered for every tough job that came along. 

He wanted to go to med school, but a college advisor looked at his grades and told him not to bother. 

He investigated joining the military, but they didn't like the scar on his knee from a years ago surgery. Incidentally, Rich would drive to my house, park on the street, then we'd destroy each other riding our bikes 13 miles to work. Nothing wrong with his knee...

My guy makes it into med school on his own terms, works his tail off, and is now a teaching doctor of osteopathic medicine. 

He was living in Mississippi with his family until this summer, when they decided on a change of pace. Rich texted me and asked how far I was from Boise...

Why? 

"Because we're moving there." 

Hence the 10 hours of driving. 

Da Boyz....a few years older than when we first met, but wiser and better looking.


Somehow I misplaced my 2012 Olympic Trials Volunteer hat. Oh, wait...



My new buds Lucy and Elliot. Not sure what they enjoyed the most about the weekend: the Play Doh, the breakfast sandwiches, or Uncle Nick kicking a beach ball onto the roof.



What happens when two technically minded guys try to figure out the Vitamix app?

Answer: a whole lotta nothing. But we did manage to mix a fresh batch of water.


My man Rich, his lovely wife Jenn, and their two incredibly awesome kids.



To paraphrase myself from the 2012 Olympic Trials: there are times in your life when you wish your life was on video. Last weekend was one of those times.

Nice job, Doc.

No comments:

Post a Comment