Tuesday, July 11, 2023

US Nationals Final Day

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Final Day begins with a trip to the shrine...

 

I probably should keep my eyes open...

The photographer of the previous photo was a woman who said her nephew is Stephen Rooks.  I said he should stop falling down so much! Translation: he's the BYU kid who took a header in the steeple and then won the event!

My walk back to campus was pretty pretty. 

Pretty neat to have a 140m indoor straightaway under the bleachers. 



During a break in the competition, I duck into the VIP section under the bleachers. This women asks me if she can take a peek at the track and the wind conditions. "I tell her yes, but it'll cost ten bucks."


I was laughing the whole time. UO Assistant Coach, Multiple Olympian, and NYC Marathon winner Shalane Flanagan. Also a cookbook author: I told her that my daughter loves my regular shipments of Superhero Muffins. Of course, that prompts Ms Flanagan to say, "I guess that's worth ten bucks?"

BOOM!

(I love track)

Longtime LA-based coach Bobby Kersee received a lifetime achievement award. He has coached a gold medal Olympian in each of the last seemingly hundred years! Allyson, Athing Mu, Sydney, Keni Harrison, Jenna Prandini....the man has some horses in his stable.

World Champ pole vaulter Katie Moon notices Hammer thrower Deanna Price on her victory lap; Katie runs over and quite loudly bear hugs Katie in front of me!

Alex, I'll take "Number of Chief Officials playing air guitar to stadium music AC/DC during a World Championship." The answer, of course, is One; Head Umpire Dougie-Dub, from Paw Paw Michigan by way of Britain. He jammed in front of me during a break in the action; Bill and Ted would have been proud of this most excellent adventure I had. 

World class photog Dr. Chuck; he's at Hayward as much as I am!

The MVP of Nationals: young S, Oregon state champ in the discus, and HUGE Val Allman fan (Val is the reigning Olympic champ). Mama and S made the long trek to see the main event in person. 

I was watching this scene unfold from the finish line across the track. Just another great Hayward memory!

I'm pretty sure the two new BFFs exchanged phone numbers. 


Her trip home was delayed so she could similarly accost world record holder Mr. Crouser. 


Great pix courtesy of Lloyd. 

On the way out, I see this monument to every Hayward Field world record. I've witnessed every one since 2012: Ashton, Crouser, Syd x3, Tobi, Mondo...there's also Rafer in 1960 and Dave Wottle in 1972. And 2 x Jenner. 

I admired fellow umpire Doreen's jewelry and told her my daughter is a consignment shop beast, so Doreen gave me one of her bracelets for Zoe. 


Looking forward to my next trip back: the Diamond League season closer at the Prefontaine Classic in mid-September. See you then!










No comments:

Post a Comment